Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Fun in the Sun!

Hello My cherished readers! How are all of you? Much has happened since my last post: Michael Jackson has passed away, and America has it's first black president! Times are a changing my friends. OK so it hasn't been that long since I've blogged, but it has been a few weeks. I am simply trying to make a joke out of the fact that I haven't written a blog in quite a while. HAHAHAHA. I think I'm pretty funny, and that's all that matters.
Anyway, life is good here. I've been working, playing ball, going to the beach, planning trips, making songs with the guitar, and going out on the town and singing Karaoke! The last two months seemed to have flown by!
Baseball is going very well. I am hitting great, in fact, I had my first home run of the season last Sunday. I think I'm hitting a healthy .600ish on the season! I am 10 for my last 14 with 3 doubles, a triple and a home run! The competition is a bit lower here, but I feel that I am improving greatly. So, it just so happens that my first home run was the same game that my roommate Nolan hit his first HR. He hit his in the first inning, and I hit mine in the 8th inning. I haven't heard anything but smack talk about him hitting the first home run! I'm like, "Dude, you hit yours like an hour and half before me, big deal. And I have the most recent one, so I'm the current HR champ!" Judging by this response I think he knows it's getting under my skin! I don't think I've heard the end of it. Besides, most of this smack talk goes on while cleaning and making the beds in the hotel each morning. The job doesn't require much brain power, so all we really do is talk smack. We talk about almost everything. We are always giving it back and forth to each other! The other ladies are so vulnerable to us when we joke around because they take their job so much more serious than we do. Not that we don't take pride in our work, Cath, one of the cleaning ladies, told us just yesterday that we were the best room strippers they have ever had! That means a lot, because American baseballers have been coming over here for 25 years! But we love joking around with them. Since we get into all the rooms first, we tell them that the rooms are way more messy than they really are. They get really upset, until they walk in and realize we were just kidding! Man, they fall for that one at least once a week. The worst room is room 30. It's built for a whole family, or group of friends. It has 6 beds. It literally takes about an hour just to strip, stock and make the beds. I always tell them that all the beds are messed up, all the coffee is gone, and there is trash everywhere. If this were true, it would potentially be enough to ruin their day! So then I take off, and keep working; about a minute later I hear them yelling at me from all the way down the hall. They act mad, but deep down I know they are happy that room 30 is not dirty at all! I realize that this may not be funny to you, but it cracks me up! They always fall for it. In the end, I know they enjoy having us around; we always lighten the mood and put a smile on their face!
So yeah, ball is going great, We beat the best team in the league on Sunday. It felt so good because the American imports that this team had were so cocky! I'm serious, not in a good way! We had a banquet about three weeks ago; it was basically a meet and greet for all the Americans from all the teams. These two guys wouldn't even talk to anyone. They left early with out saying good bye, and wouldn't even look me in the eye. Later on in the week, I saw them downtown; they literally walked right passed me without saying a word. I thought, "Maybe they didn't know who I was." This would have been more cocky and arrogant than them ignoring me because they didn't want to lower themselves to the level of saying hello to me. Either way, right then and there, I couldn't wait to beat them. They had a record of 10 wins and 1 loss. We beat them Sunday, 13-3. Both Nolan and I had 4 hits, and both had home runs. But even better, the cockier import was struck out twice by Nolan and once by me. Yes! (fist pump)! I realized that being cocky never pays!
So we went to the south coast last week. We swam at Mollymook, then drove south to Bateman's Bay for lunch where we enjoyed a nice platter of Fish and chips, and some ice cream. It was really strange to be on the other side of the Pacific ocean. I thought about sending a message in a bottle to all of you! The water was so warm! The waves were huge, and the current was strong. It was really hard to get out of the water because before each wave came crashing, the water would suck you out deeper into the ocean. It tired me out quickly, but I was very careful, for I knew I had to survive to write this blog!
Wednesday night is Karaoke night! We go most weeks. This is an action shot of us singing "Piano Man".
I am definitely enjoying my time out here. Things could not be going better. However, I really wish I was coming home for Christmas. This will be the first time in my 26 year existence that I won't see my family on Christmas day. I think instead, I will work at the club and make double time, save money, and spend it traveling around the Gold coast, staying in hostels and visiting friends. I miss all of you, but I'm glad that I am doing this while I can!

3 comments:

  1. That's great that you are playing so well! AJS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eric. Keep on keeping those cleaning ladies in line with your bad humor and those cocky imports with your outstanding plays and Nolan by being the first to hit a second home run.

    ReplyDelete